He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 26, 2019

The Beautiful Lacy Collar

I had this picture enter my mind one evening after prayer: I first focused singularly on the beautiful lacy, intricate patterned collar….which I then took off and placed in Jesus’ lap.

It was a gentle reminder that in God’s eyes, I am beautiful, delicate, yet strong and have a desire for balance.  It was interesting to see the symmetry of the collar and how very interwoven all the thread was.  It reminded me of doilies my mom had when I was a little girl, that were crocheted in these intricate patterns.  

Our lives are incredibly busy and each of us wear many hats during the day.  To one we are spouse, to others, sibling, mom/dad, aunt or uncle, friend, or co-worker. To others we are artists, or quilters (often in the same breath!), musicians, engineers or auto mechanics. The list is endless and some days it’s a challenge to have symmetry or any type of balance in our lives.  That’s when we become frustrated, tired and less able to do our best.

Another thought crossed my mind, however.  The collar reminded me how even more are the special needs children, like the interwoven pieces of threads that creates a stunning pattern. These precious children are interwoven into our lives in ways we can barely fathom.  They generate a beauty all their own as their delicate personalities display themselves in a variety of different ways.

We are to live a life of value, because God values each single life, whether we are rich or poor, smart or not so much, social or more withdrawn, short or tall, a talented musician or garbage collector.   Regardless of any status, we are all beautiful in the eyes of God!

Much like the lacy collar I removed and placed in Jesus’ lap are the special needs children of our world.  Our culture has a difficult time seeing past what they consider “flaws” which Christ sees as beautiful birth marks; his own intimate creations.

These children are able to teach us about genuine kindness and love, because that is how they perceive life, rather than tainted with the gray discoloration of meanness, hate, rejection and even bigotry toward another human being.

Many special needs parents will tell you they are surprised at the depth of love they feel for their special needs child because they require, and draw out a profoundly unique sense of connection.  These parents give unselfishly to their children. As parents, we’d like to think we each give everything we’ve got to our kids.  That’s what parents do.  Yet, because of the unique needs of a special needs child, parents are required to dig even deeper within themselves to be able to respond to their precious gifts.

I believe God chooses who will be special needs parents (or teachers).  Their compassion and understanding and ability to cope with the unexpected, is remarkable!

I’ve learned much as I’ve written my special needs books, “The Paxton Series,” for these delightful children.  They are God’s special ‘little ones’ and I’m so glad to be a part of something so much larger than myself!  God is good and he knows just what we need and when we need it most!  I am indeed blessed.

If you pass a special needs child this week, look past any pre-conceived flaw.  Look through the eyes of God and see the beauty!  

No comments:

Post a Comment