He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 30, 2019

My Faith-Based Bucket List

           
           Bucket lists.  It seems we all have them, although not everyone calls it that.  Some call it a wish or dream list; others simply say ‘stuff I want to accomplish/do before I die list; or depending on how it’s being used, a ‘to-do list.’

            Someone asked what my ‘faith-based’ bucket list would look like.  I had to think on it a moment to refocus from the ‘faith-based’ perspective.  Now, understand, I have lots of lists and some might even cross over to other lists, but this is specifically about ‘big’ things that go beyond what I can or would normally do.  It’s a list that has grown out of my faith, or because God has placed a seed starter somewhere deep inside my soul, and I want to carry out His plan, so those too, are on my list.  

            For years, the only thing I had on that list was going to Israel.  It was my heart’s desire to ‘walk where Jesus walked,’ to see the places where Jesus taught, to see the River Jordan, and step into the Red Sea and gaze over the Sea of Galilee, and so much more.  

            While this was my dream, it was not my husband’s!  He spent time in Viet Nam and the last thing he wanted any part of, was to be in a place where fire arms were carried openly in the streets.  (Yes, it really is different than how we think of our police force here in the states.)  As time passed, God changed my husband’s heart and we did make that visit to Israel.  He said he’d never felt as safe anywhere as he had during our time in there.  

            God more than answered my prayer and filled my heart!  We did walk where Jesus walked, took a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee and witnessed miracles.  It was amazing, and time we both will always cherish! 

            Another ‘faith-based’ bucket list item was answered in a totally unusual way.  Our family has visited Dollywood in TN for many years. One of our favorite things to do is be part of the Sunday Morning worship services held in the chapel right on the park campus during the summer and then on Sunday Nights during the winter season.  It was always such a special event and I wanted desperately to somehow be a part of the ministry at Dollywood.  

            Unknown to me at the time, the Chaplain there had been praying God would send someone who would be willing to write inspirational blog posts he could send out regularly to the employees of Dollywood as part of his ministry.  (There are over 3000 employees at the park!)   He and I would have conversation in passing for several years, but imagine my surprise when he asked me if I’d be willing to write these posts!  What a gift!  For me, it was another answered prayer; another miracle!

            I have two more items on my ‘faith-based’ bucket list, yet to be completed.  I am certain God has asked me to go to Alaska.  I haven’t any idea yet how, when or why I would make such a trip, but I’m excited about the possibilities; and I know I will absolutely make it there!

            The last ‘big’ thing on my list is directly related to my writing.  I would love to see the Paxton Series become an animated TV show for children.  It would benefit not only the children dealing with special needs/disabilities, but it would be a great learning tool for children everywhere.  I’m convinced God has a plan!  If he plants a good idea in a person’s heart, surely he has the means, heart and capability of making the most unlikely event not only possible but probable!  

            I haven’t a clue when this will happen either, but I believe it will---someday.  In the meantime, I will trust my heart and my God to pull it all together in just the right time, place and way!

            I serve a BIG God and am looking forward to all He has in store in 2020!  

            What is on your ‘faith-based’ bucket list?  Share so we can pray and celebrate the miracle with you!

            Happy New Year, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment