He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 23, 2019

We All Have Struggles

            It’s been an interesting six weeks.  There have been four Emergency Room visits; three included extended stays in the hospital.  We’ve learned, that regardless how a person looks on the outside (totally wonderful and healthy), the insides can be in total turmoil!  We’ve been deep in conflict with medicines that do or don’t work, doctors trying to figure out how to handle the continuing or new health issues, and emotional struggles that come with an illness that is all encompassing and potentially life threatening.

            It’s likely most everyone reading this has dealt with a circumstance in their life where emotions and fear cause struggles that leave a person feeling like they are stuck in a shoulder deep snowdrift and totally unable to make any forward progress.

            When asked how I dealt with struggle, I had to really think about it.  First and foremost in any situation, I’d like to say I immediately call out to God; and in some sense I do.  But my initial instinct is “What can I do –or need to do --about this right now?  I’ve got to go to the hospital.  I’ve got to make sure this or that is done.  Do you see the pattern?   “I’ve, I’ve, I’ve.”   

            It’s not about me!  It’s about God’s plan.  I need to stop and remember that I am not alone in my suffering, no matter what kind it is! (The medical issues belong to my husband, but we both are impacted!)  The emotional side of it also takes its toll!  We are both on a journey to places we’ve never gone before and it’s hard!  To paraphrase someone else’s thought;  “The devil keeps knocking at my door and I keep opening it, rather than rebuking him in Jesus’ name!”  I’m working on that!  

            I also need to remember that I need not struggle alone!  I like the expression “Do not fear, God is always near!” But it’s wonderful to have human words and physical embraces that are encouraging and supportive, even when I’m having a melt down!    I’ve discovered not only do I have biological family that has completely had my back by staying with me during every hospital visit while my husband fights to regain his health again, but a church family that has embraced us with all the love and aid we could imagine.

            This is how it’s supposed to be!  We are to be a ‘community;’ a ‘family’ who holds up every other member within our congregation, as well as Believers who need us even when we hardly know them at all –or in some cases don’t know them at all.  This doesn’t apply only to a medical issue, but to other types of struggles families and individuals find themselves.  Sometimes it happens because of choices, other times, it has nothing to do with anything anyone did.  It’s life!  It’s ‘stuff’ that happens beyond our control.

            During these dark times, we can be reminded of Mary and Joseph who had plans of an engagement, and marriage and probably dreams of their married life.  But God had other plans.  They were obedient and God blessed them.  God’s timing was perfect; and He gave us the perfect gift for his perfect purpose.

            As Christmas closes in, I encourage you to embrace those around you who are struggling with all kinds of different circumstances.  Each of us have a story.  Embracing each other in love and kindness is a gift that keeps on giving and giving.

Merry Christmas, everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment