He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, June 8, 2020

Grape Stew

         “Wow! Its nearly noon!” I said picking up the large bowl one more time. Come on, Champ, I said to my four year-old.  Theres time to cut one more batch of grapes before lunch.  Were headed back to the grape vines.

            “Oh good! he responded.  I love grapes! haffirmed moments later when we reached the vines, popping another and another into his mouth.

            Back in the house, the routine began again:  wash and stem the grapes, cook and process. As I worked, my young son said dreamily, Wouldnt it be cool to have grape stew?

            “Are you kidding me?  Grape stew? I asked in wonder.   

            “Yup! he responded, without hesitation.

Well, if youre going to have grape stew, why not a walnut milkshake, carrot ice cream, or green bean cake? I asked sounding just as silly. 

            “I dont like carrots, he said.  Id like that milkshake and Daddy might like green bean cake, he continued, processing my comment. 

            “What if we settle for grape jelly and grape juice? I asked him laughing.

            “I guess so, he said agreeably, but it still would be cool to have grape stew. Without another word, he was out the door, lost in his own world of make believe, fighting the bad guys one minute and being a fireman the next.

            While pondering what the ingredients grape stew might be, my mind began focusing on how much time and energy we spend caring for the vines and the work involved in harvesting the fruit.  There is the work of pruning, weeding, and watering that delights us with the bounty. 

            Some years it seemed it didnt matter the hours of labor spent, the garden refused to cooperate.  The heat of the sun, along with lack of rain, dried and scorched everything, except the weeds of course, spoiling the otherwise generous bounty.  Sometimes it was too much rain and cool weather which caused the grapes not to grow.  There is no human control over these natural things, of course, but somehow I felt responsible when the harvest was less than plentiful.

            Life is like that sometimes.  It seems no matter how much effort we spend nurturing our young ones, ultimately they decide how much watering, weeding and pruning they accept as they grow older.  As parents, we advise, mix in faith, forgiveness and patience; add friendship, tenderness, loyalty and laughter, fertilize with love---and a liberal amount of Godly teaching. 

Still the choices they make are ultimately their own.  They choose the paths they follow.  There is little control over their likes and dislikes, friends or interests.  Suggestions and counsel is certainly a viable option, but it is they who decide where life takes them.

            We all dream of having perfect children: polite, friendly, loving, happy, helpful, neat, tidy, etc.  The truth is, however, each child will have his unique portion of the perfect qualities.  No child has all.

            Its much like the grapes I pulled off the vine.  Each clump, overall looks wonderfully delicious.  As I wash and clean them, however, some have spots or are partly eaten by insects. Others are dried and shriveled or just plain rotten.

            Grape stew, huh?  I gathered my small child to me, as he came into the house thirsty and in need of a snack, returning the hug in a hurry to be back at play.  Hes part of my personal grape stew --a family with imperfections but beautiful as a whole.  Its what makes having a family worthwhile.  Its hard, continuous work, never knowing how it will all turn out because life is just that way.  But still I know without a doubt, the rewards are as sweet as grape jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment