He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, June 29, 2020

My Personal Tutor

         
       I am a ‘natural born student.’  Some of the greatest pleasure I allow myself is to study!  While my children cringe, I pick up a History or Literature book, do research online, and read articles that will teach me.  The downside to this, is how sporadically I will stay focused on one subject.  I like variety, so instead of sticking with one subject for eight weeks or longer, it’s usually only a week or so (and sometimes less) where I remain in one subject matter.  Interest in another topic, interruptions in what I was studying, or even the ‘need’ to study another area will send me off into unknown territory.

            This method, of course does not apply in college.  Having the opportunity to actually attend classes about fifteen years ago, thrilled me!  However, after being out of school over thirty years, it was quite challenging in some areas, and even downright intimidating, given my non-traditional status.  

Most of the professors were wonderful to work with and appreciated my efforts.  There were subjects, however, like Science and Math where I struggled, because I lacked the background necessary to excel. And while I enjoyed it very much, I still found test taking a trial, especially Math, since I had had no algebra in high school.  

It seemed no matter how much I studied the Math problems in the book or my notes from class, and thought I was ready for the test; I would not remember all the steps necessary to do the problems correctly. Remembering the steps and process of even getting the problem in the calculator correctly, frustrated me to no end!  

            It’s wonderful to know across America, college institutions are recognizing the number of non-traditional students, like myself, is rising. Statistics show non-traditional students often make up as much as, and often more than, the traditional, right-out-of-high school student.  They are accommodating learning styles and needs for these students.   Professors are willing to work with those of us who want nothing more than to learn!

            The Holy Spirit does the same thing for each of us.  He recognizes right where we are spiritually, and will aid and teach us, remind us of what we have learned, and yet challenge us on how to handle life situations, just as the professor on a college campus.  

Unlike my math instructor who only saw me twice a week for one and one half hours, Jesus is always there, tutoring.  I always have His Book to turn to when things get complicated.  I know if I prayerfully study His Word, I will find the answers to my questions.

 The Math book on the other hand, while being somewhat helpful, usually only made me more confused.  It was the one on one with my daughters, after class, that enabled me to get through the class!  It is also the one on one with God, that gets me through my trials.  

When I pull out my Bible, my personal “instruction manual,” I can sit down, as can you, with our own personal tutor and find peace.  I encourage you to rely on Him, His Word and guidance as your personal life tutor.  You will find an Instructor unlike any on Earth. 

Photo credit: college algebra problems 

No comments:

Post a Comment