He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, May 10, 2021

Focus On The Moment

 

       There is so much going on in my world at the moment and sleeping soundly (and ultimately well) has been challenging!  I was trying to figure out what my issue was and my husband suggested maybe it’s just that I have so much on my mind.  Perhaps he’s right; I just know I’m ready for a good night’s sleep!

       A friend was talking about being in a similar situation, only being wide awake and in the company of others while his mind was in a dozen other places.  It takes the joy out of whatever is going on right at that moment and makes a body wonder what is going on around him, while their own mind is scattered all over the place!


       Jesus had focus!  There are plenty of places in the Bible where is specifically says, “Jesus looked.” or “Jesus saw.”   Regardless of how many people swarmed around him, he could recognize the need of a signal person and need.


       We live in a world of political upheaval, discord and even violent discontent.  People have become wrapped up on what the leaders are doing in our country and have lost their focus on the Leader of our lives!  We are pressured to make decisions and accept events and ‘positions’ with which we disagree.  It causes us to try to make sense of what’s happening in our community, our nation and even across the world.


       Are these the distractions God wants for our lives?  Does this not cause us to lose sight of those people who need our love, friendship and help within our neighborhoods and even in within our church families.  Can we look past the distractions to enable us to witness to those who are lost, alone and in the great need of Christ?  How many opportunities are we missing by losing focus on the moment right where we are? Is it difficult for God to use us when our minds on everything but him?  


       It’s reassuring to know that God is always present and faithful.  He loves us and cares about our lives and everything we are going through.  I’m glad that when I am feeling ‘lost’ in this world with all its noise and distractions, emotions of rage, envy, discontent, greed and those who lust for power, I can meet with God, my Creator and Savior, I can find peace that passes all understanding.


       I can pick my self up, shake off the dust of the pressures of the world and move forward as I focus on the here and now—-in this very moment, in the presence of the Lord and know that God is with me.  When I meet with Him, he will sustain me if I ask him.





No comments:

Post a Comment