He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 29, 2021

Following The Warm Light

 

        I enjoy the clouds and dreariness of a rainy day.  There is something calming about it, as well as the need (or desire) to slow down a bit.  While I can’t explain it, it somehow has the ability to subdue the need for clamoring to get everything done. The light from the sun is hidden in these moments, yet not completely, allowing for us to experience ‘day time’ even when the sun isn’t visible.                                                 That said, I don’t like days like this to be more than a day or so.  After this limited time period, I’m rested and ready to take on the challenges  of all the busy-ness of the list staring at me from the table!

Glowing candle light is another facet of light I completely enjoy.  There is something warm and welcoming about a candle.  There was a Christmas some years ago where candle light could be seen radiating out of the windows of a small church I attended for Christmas Eve Service.  I can still recall the scene; inviting and embracing.  Once inside the flickering light could be seen in the smiling eyes of those attending.


Still, the bright sunshiny day is the place where exuberance and lightness of mood can really be witnessed.  It seems on these days, not only I feel this way, but the general population, as people are out and about shopping, or taking walks, running, playing with children or heading to the beach or other special place to soak in the sun!


When I think of light, however, my favorite thoughts wander to Christ.  He tells us He is the Light.  It is his light that fills our souls to overflowing so that others can see Him through us, as we live out our lives in obedience to him.  Isn’t this why we were created?


As I reflect on the variations and levels of light, there is yet another Light that is even greater than we can witness between Believers here on this Earth.  Imagine, if you can, the Light that will be available when we reach heaven.  This will be a place of no darkness.  After all, darkness can’t reside when Christ is present.  

I admit I have a difficult time picturing what it will be like when I live in a world of no darkness; always light!  I don’t sleep well in the the day time and rise nearly when the sun comes in my windows.  I suspect I won’t be sleeping much in heaven either!  What a joyous thought!


While I wait to reach a place of eternal Light, I will attempt to project the light of God in my life so that others may see a glimpse of a God, who loves all his creation.  That requires searching His Word for instruction and being obedient to the lessons found there.  It means that even on my ‘rainy days’ — those days when I don’t feel particularly ‘sunshiny’ I need to reach out to the God of Light and ask for an extra dose of His!


He’ll give it, just because I asked.  He wants His Light to shine in and through us.  What a great testimony to his goodness, grace and mercy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment