He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 14, 2022

God Speaks All Languages

 

      My husband and I were watching a PBS show yesterday which included a trip to Greece at Easter time!  It was beautiful.  Of course we couldn’t understand the words the people were saying, but they were celebrating the Easter story.

I have friends who have gone on mission trips to other countries where translators were required.  During the worship service the natives to the country in attendance who were Believers or just becoming Believers, were worshiping with hands raised in praise to God, while speaking in their native tongue.  While the words could not be understood by the Americans, the Spirit which filled their souls and that place, transcended all need for literal translations of what their hearts were saying.


A friend of mine tells of a time while in college, she roomed with a girl from another country.  They joined together in another place on the college campus where there were many students from different lands.  Over the months together they each learned a bit about other cultures; both differences and likenesses.  


One of the similarities my friend was really impressed with, was during the time in prayer.  She said what her friend taught her about prayer was her greatest gift, as her friend spoke to God in her own language with specific nuances to her language.   I admit, I’m not sure I’d ever thought about how God can hear all our hearts in so many languages!  


While I was in high school, if you took the ‘College Prep Track’ you were required to learn a language.  I took the ‘Business Track’ and wasn’t required to learn this and I’ll admit to being totally relieved!  I was terrified at the very thought of learning another language.  I feel like I have a decent handle on English, but was a huge coward on learning another!


I’ve since tried a little Spanish which can be learned or self-taught via an iPad or other technical device.  While Spanish was interesting, I wanted to learn Greek so that I could understand the Scriptures better—so I can identify words and get the ‘literal’ meaning of them.  Greek is very difficult, especially when you find your ‘lessons’ aren’t as deliberate as you’d like due to life schedules!  


It takes consistent, focused attention to be able to learn a new language— and I say that knowing that there are those who seem to find learning new languages as easy and normal as wearing a smile!  That is not me!  There are those who even know several languages; and even those who know many different languages!  It seems to me, my mind would be continually mixing up the words and phrases that are unique to a given language--and then getting it all wrong.


But when you think of God being able to decipher every single language in the human race, it’s amazing……but then our God is amazing.  


Not only can he decipher all these languages, he can hear our thoughts and even know if those thoughts match our hearts;—-and can hear everyone at all the same time; and can minister to us each in our own need, while all this other stuff is happening.  That’s mind-boggling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment