He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 21, 2022

Knocking At My Door

 

       I love the idea of putting a gift on someone’s door step, ringing the doorbell and then running away so the recipient has no clue who left the package.  What a great way to do something honorable without making it about us!

But what happens when someone rings your doorbell but doesn’t leave anything, and leaves without waiting for the open door?  That’s a prank mischievous children will play on folks just to create a silly diversion.  They are hidden just out of sight and giggle when the person comes to the door and no one is there.  


For the person opening the door there is frustration and maybe even a tinge of fear, since their work was interrupted and now they wonder if they might be in danger by an unknown predator, given where they live.


Ever since I was a child, I’ve seen pictures depicting God knocking at the door of our hearts.  For years I’m not sure I understood the concept but thought the pictures were beautiful and brought about a sense of awe.  Yet the idea that God would knock on my heart puzzled me when I was a child. It didn’t occur to me that He could ‘knock’ on my heart via my mind.


  As I’ve grown in my faith from my childhood, I know that God wants ‘conversation with me’ on a regular basis.  He initiates conversation by ‘knocking on my heart’s door’ to guide me, reprimand me, remind me, hold and comfort me and so much more—via my mind, conscious and sometimes through other people and through His Word, but I must be listening to hear it!


I wonder if there were times when He knocked and in my ‘selfishness’ never answered the door.  I didn’t want to be bothered or perhaps I didn’t want to hear what He had to say!  


One friend described the exchange between she and God, as an ‘only as needed basis.’  She’d check in every other month or so, just to let God know she was there, give a quick “I’m sorry God for my sins; I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got and I’m getting by. See ya Later!”  She said her door would close before any kind of relationship could grow.


I think that’s true more often than not, perhaps even by Believers.  Our world is so mobile; we can go anywhere via a plethora of travel modes all over the world.  Add the elements of technology, sports events, ‘cultural entertainment,’ responsibilities and life circumstances, it becomes difficult to —STOP— and let God come into our lives in a true committed relationship.  Yet this is just what we need to do if we plan on growing in Christ.  Anything less than this, stifles any chance of creating a relationship with our Redeeming Savior.  


It’s a proven fact that when we don’t spend time with those we love and care about here on Earth, relationships tend to deteriorate, often into separation and then divorce, as we reach out to someone who listens to what we want to say.  That’s no less true with our relationship with God.  We can’t grow into the person God wants us to be if we don’t stay in His Word, have daily conversations via a prayer life with him and be willing to make a commitment with other Believers to join together to ‘grow each other.’


Have you heard God knocking lately?  Is it hard to stop and listen?  It’s so easy to get distracted.  But our world is changing faster than most of us can keep up.  Jesus is returning soon.  All prophesies are fulfilled to allow the Rapture.  Have you let Him in?


free pictures of knocking at the door 

No comments:

Post a Comment