He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 21, 2022

A Thankful Heart

 

      “So much has gone wrong”, my friend said.  “It’s almost Thanksgiving and I just found out my husband is very ill; my daughter miscarried a couple weeks ago; another daughter isn’t even speaking to us; and the list just seems to be growing. 

“I know it’s the time to be thankful.  I even know we are supposed to be thankful in all things and in every circumstance, but what do I tell my head when it won’t let me sleep at night or my heart that wants to break, or my emotions that are just all over the place?”


I understand my friend’s concerns.  Life has a way of ‘kicking us when we’re down’ sometimes.  But in truth, we are supposed to be thankful, in all things.  I can’t help but think of Paul’s accounts of his life in God’s Word.  Here was a man who was beaten, imprisoned and even facing death.  Yet, even in this ‘dark’ place he could find the strength to sing songs—while in a horrible prison cell!  His circumstances were much worse than mine, or even my friends, who from our perspective was a lot to handle at one time.


God is a God of miracles.  He’s a God of love who promises to see us through no matter what is happening.  He knows the beginning from the end; he can see the whole picture.  Our view is so narrow and our vision is blurred.  God has a clear stake in the lives of his children.  He doesn’t want to see us suffer.  But how would we know joy if we never experienced sorrow?


Heaven knows I do not enjoy suffering.  It wears me out physically and emotionally.  But I find when I’m down in the valley of sadness, very often that’s when I can feel God closest.  He’s not going to leave me alone.  I am never alone!  God promises that, as well.


I encourage you to believe that statement.  Even repeat it aloud to yourself several times.  Sometimes your ears need to hear what your mind is thinking!  “I AM NEVER ALONE.”  Second reflect on the positive things that have happened over the course of your life.  Can you see God’s hand in how things turned out?  


When we remember what God has done, from where he has brought us, and situations he’s brought us through, it’s easier to recall that God does indeed, care about every facet of our lives.  Then try to rejoice and see a silver lining in whatever circumstance you are currently in.  It may be just a tiny glimmer and may have nothing to do directly with your problem.


God may (or already has) provided a need you didn’t realize you had; he may send someone (more than once) to your rescue just at the perfect time; or just given you his peace and assurance that regardless of what’s going on, let you see He will see you through.


I wish you a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving.  Times are tough all around.  No one is spared, regardless of age, race, gender, political preferences, or religious beliefs.  But to know we have a Savior who loves us regardless the state of our lives, is enough to give us a thankful heart!  


Photo Credit: free pics of thanksgiving 

No comments:

Post a Comment