He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 14, 2022

An Active Prayer Life

 

  I love my early morning Bible and prayer time, as well as, the time I spend with God before I go to bed.  But there are times when I just don’t feel like I’m doing it right!  Have you ever felt this way?

When attending church Business meetings or a Bible study class, there is usually a prayer before beginning.  Sometimes different people are called on to pray and I panic, afraid I will be asked to pray out loud.  There are those who pray amazing prayers.  It sounds so perfect and so natural; yet because of its total cohesiveness, no grammar errors, or the use of the words umm, or even ‘and’ at the wrong place, it almost sounds rehearsed!

Prayers like this inspire me, yet intimidate me at the same time.  I don’t believe God wants ‘cookie cutter’ prayers.  He wants a ‘conversation’ with us, just as naturally as your spouse, parent or child would.  Because of this I admit, I tend to ramble, until I remember he knows all this anyway!  Then for just about half a heartbeat, I feel a little silly.  But I don’t believe God wants me to feel like that!  

Someone commented once on what a prayer ‘conversation’ between Jesus and God must have sounded like.  They said something like, “Can’t you just see/hear Jesus say, ‘Did you catch Samuel’s reaction when I told him…..?’”  I don’t know.  I’d love to think it was just this way.  Conversational!  Couldn't that be what God wants from us?  

Now I admit, there is a line between being conversational and disrespectful.  I kind of see the same line I might have had with my children when they were young, (and still follow to this day.)  God is God, yet wants to be a part of every area of our lives.  I’d think he’d want us to share our joys and yes, even our disappointments, and perhaps even our surprises.  I also know we are supposed to pray for each other!

My guess is, he probably laughs (at least giggles sometimes) at me, because often my prayers are just like I talk to anyone else (and people laugh at me all the time!)  I tend to be animated and honestly I do that even in prayer—my hands are not always still!  I don’t know if it’s right, but if God is my “Abba Papa” shouldn’t I just be ‘me’ even when I am praying?

There are ideas available to help with our prayer life.  Some write out their prayers (I’d never get that done) but the idea of making lists does help me.  Praying Bible verses sometimes is also very helpful, especially when I am distressed, or even using the ACTS method:  Adoration, Confession, Thankfulness and Supplication.  I’ve even tried using the ‘Our Father who art in heaven’ scriptures to walk me through.  This is after all how Jesus told the disciples to pray when they asked his advice on prayer.

So, I wonder, what are your methods of prayer?  Do you use different methods to keep you on track or have you found a single way that works perfectly?  Are you a little intimidated about praying out loud in front of others?  How do you handle it?  I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject!  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment