He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 20, 2023

Guardian Angels

  One Sunday some months ago while singing during the worship part of the service, I felt an arm go around my waist from the left side.  I was on the end of the row and looked to my left to see who’d come up to me.  There wasn’t a single person next to me in the isle, and no one was walking away.  The feeling was so personal and left me filled with wonder.


As I recall, I had been going through some really tough times when this happened and yet I was stumped, in part, of what had happened.  No human had touched me.  Had the hand of God literally come down to comfort me?  Or, was it an angel sent by God to remind me of his closeness?


Other times I have felt the presence of someone in my room, even felt the mattress move, enough so, that I looked up.  Once was during the night when my husband was away.  I wasn’t afraid, it just struck me as odd, and it made me wonder if I was losing my mind!  


God does assign us guardian angels; the Bible tells us so.  Angels were created to be his messengers.   It was an angel to spoke to Mary about the child Jesus, she would carry, and again when they made the announcement to the Shepherds that the Christ was born.  Angles have also been ministers to Believers like when Daniel faced the lions in the Lion’s Den.  And, Nebuchadnezzar recognized them as protectors as described in Daniel for Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.


The celestial beings were created to be in God’s service and be obedient.  It’s true, not all angels were content with obedience and led them to be dismissed from heaven.  But for those who chose (or choose) to do the will of God, it’s wonderful to know even now they can come to us for comfort, to speak on God’s behalf, protect us, perhaps even when we didn’t know we were in harm’s path and can minister to us when we are need. 


Occults are all around us.  Yet, there are those who don’t believe in the spiritual world.  As Believers we must believe in the spiritual world, if we believe in Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit, who has come to comfort us.  And yes, part of the heavenly spiritual world does include Angels.  


There’s a song that has the line, “angels among us.”  This is also a true statement and can come in the form of actual people we can see. Hebrews 13:2 even cautions us to be hospitable to strangers because we may be entertaining ‘angels unaware.’  The thought that on any given day I could be ‘entertaining an angel’ is a little intimidating.


I know we should always be kind and be at our best, yet am I?  Do I present the Lord when things are going badly?  It’s humbling to know God looks out for us in all sorts of ways.  And it’s comforting to know, regardless of what I’m going through—even if it’s causing me to be afraid or upset, God has an angel ready, in whatever form it comes, to minister to my needs.


#Angels #AngelsAmongUs  #GuardianAngels  


Photo Credit:  https://pixabay.com/images/search/guardian%20angel/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment