He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 13, 2023

Not A Chance Meeting

  Life is busy.  It seems despite my plans to visit people I rarely see when we are back in town, I don’t seem to get it done.  This week I reflected on some people who have made a difference in my life, but with whom I have not seen over an extended period of time, although I’m delighted we have at least had conversation.  

One friend, I’ve known since my high school years and have only seen a handful of times since then, reminded me how important it is to be real.  He recognized that I have always been non-confrontational, non-aggressive, non-antagonistic or quarrelsome.  It’s just not my personality.  This makes me an easy target for those who would choose to torment or take advantage.  Recognizing this in high school, he “had my back” even when I didn’t realize it.  

Another person I’ve known for about forty years, wasn’t my “silent defender” but someone who would listen when I needed to share my heart, support me when I made changes and loved me even on those days I probably didn’t feel loveable!  Our lives and our children’s lives interrupted time spent together, but still after many years of inactive socialization, our friendship remains solid.

One lady I’ve known for over forty-five years, I can barely say, I’ve really “known” for that long.  I knew “who” she was, but during our high school we didn’t travel in the same social circles.  It was years later when we connected again, that a strong friendship of mutual respect was born.

Still another person who made a significant difference in my life I’ve known for nearly half my life.  She served as “surrogate mom” when mine was unavailable.  We’d spend hours doing “mother-daughter” activities even though she had two of her own who she was close to.  I loved spending time with her, and still do, even though those times are now, sadly rare.

We all have friends who have made a difference in our lives.  As I reflected on just a few of the people who made a difference in mine, it reminds me we have a responsibility to those who helped us grow, supported, accepted, and grounded us when we needed it most.  We can know many people, but there are only some who fit the criteria of being a true friend.  These friends deserve more than a chance meeting, as life continues to pass us by.  They deserve the best of the moments we have.

There’s an expression that “people come into our lives for a reason, a season, or for a lifetime.”  I encourage you to reflect on those who have had an impact on your life.  Contemplate how they influenced your decisions and helped mold you into the person you have become.  If you haven’t seen or at least talked with them in a while, make the effort to have a connection.  You’ll find it will make both of you smile!

      The best Friend I've ever had, however, is my 'friendship' with Jesus.  He's always there in any season of my life.  He never changes.  The world does, but He's just the same today as he was yesterday, and will be the same forever.  My meeting Him wasn't by chance.  It was decision on my part, (with nudging from the Holy Spirit) to accept Him as Lord and Savior.

Consider those people who you have the opportunity to know, and have had even a brief relationship with and the impact they've made in your life.  What do you see in your relationships? With your mortal ones, can you see those who've been there for a season, and those who have been near for many seasons?   But can you also see Christ being there for you in all seasons?

No comments:

Post a Comment