He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, June 19, 2023

Doing God's Work


        A friend shares the story of being asked by some Christian leaders in her church to help with the children in a ‘fellowship group’ atmosphere.  She was very reluctant as it had been years since she’d worked with small children and as a child herself, had not attended church, so wasn’t familiar with how those classes were designed.  She was finally convinced, to at least try.  To her amazement she discovered she enjoyed the children!  As she served with ‘all her heart’ she said, she found serving children didn’t warrant nearly the fear she had possessed.

Her fear of the unknown resonated with me. I have always been reluctant to pray aloud in group settings.  It always seemed to me there were others who could (and did) pray beautiful prayers that would make mine look (or sound) so pitiful!

Recently my husband and I were at a dental appointment for him and I was waiting in the designated waiting area, and was alone.   Eventually a lady came and sat near me and we began chatting.  She was there because she needed a wisdom tooth extracted.  She was completely dreading the procedure. 

Out of nowhere I asked, “Could I pray with you?”  I have never, ever done that before!  She said, “Yes!” and I followed up with prayer.  I can’t even recall what I said in that prayer, but she said it was just what she needed!

Doing the Lord’s work can seem intimidating.  Our lack of experience or inhibitions because of self-doubt dim in the majesty of God’s Power!  It was totally the Holy Spirit that spoke that day in the doctor’s office.  I was as surprised as she was, yet God used me.

When God gives us a ministry —any ministry—he will equip us to serve him as long as we serve with all our heart!  I recall the story of Mary, when the angel told her she was going to serve as the Mother of the Son of God—yet she’d never been with a man.  The ramifications in that day for an unwed woman to become pregnant was stoning!  Yet she believed the angel, when he said this was God’s will and she’d been chosen for this assignment.  Her reaction was: “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38)

I want to say the words Mary did and serve with my whole heart to whatever task the Lord gives me!  It is my prayer that He teach me and then use me.  This is why we are on this Earth.  We are not supposed to let our light stay hidden under a bush.  We are supposed to shine!  God is totally able, and promises to provide the skills and strength we need for whatever is before us.  

We shine with His Light when we serve  with our whole heart!  We might be called to serve little children in a church, or a group of adults in a nursing home or rehab center.  We may be called to minister with music, or writing words others can read, or even occasionally praying with someone in public when we least expect it!  The opportunities are boundless.  But if God calls us to it and we listen to the call, we can answer as Samuel and say, “Here I am, Lord” and then be obedient to the task.


#serve   #ServeWithOurWholeHeart   #HisLight  #ServingGod  #ServingOthers

#GodCanUseUs   #HeWillEquipUs   #FollowHisPlan  #HeWillEmpower

Photo Credit:Free pics of serving

No comments:

Post a Comment