He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 4, 2023

Singing About the Greatest Gift of All



        I love worship!  Now when I say that, understand I honestly enjoy the entire service.  It really is about worship—-in all it’s forms.  There is music, the sermon and prayer; and in some services there is more.


Prayer time is amazing because the pastor very eloquently says a prayer which covers the congregation, lifts up prayer requests and more, all with a thankful heart.  While he is praying I can remain quiet, listen and choose to agree with his words and in silence add my own thoughts.


When the sermon begins I pull out my journal, pen, and have my Bible open so I can read along and take lots of notes.  When I think about the words on those pages as ‘God’s Love Letters' to ME, I can get overwhelmed.  I love learning what those words are saying in the big scope of things through the voice of the pastor’s interpretation, from what God has told him to share; but also what He is saying to me!  


Now all that said, there is something about the music that reaches the depths of my soul. I love it when the entire congregation sings and sounds like they believe the words they are saying.  For me when you sing the words of those beautiful songs, you are communing with God.  It truly is my favorite time in the service.


I admit the music is changing and while Contemporary Christian music usually has amazing lyrics; often with words right from scripture, I’m more of a Southern Gospel kind of gal and miss the traditional songs which have been sung for many decades.  (But that’s for another blog!)


When it comes to Christmas music, I bubble over with an excited joy which is hard to describe!  I love this celebratory music which describes the birth of our Lord.  I never tire of it.  I could listen to it year ‘round and have been guilty of putting my Christmas music on in the middle of summer.   I enjoy it so much, I’ve told my family at my funeral (weird right) I want at least one Christmas song to be sung by the congregation.  I’m not positive which one, but currently I’m leaning toward Joy To The World!  


This music fills my heart with such joy and anticipation, while  incorporating the traditions of generations, the Biblical story of Christ’s birth and celebratory awareness of the season.


What seems sad to me, however, is how few Christmas songs we sing!  I smile as I write that because I know there is more to worship than the music.  But tell me how you feel when a chorus of multigenerational voices come together, in a variety of harmonies and sing with great gusto about the greatest gift we could ever receive!  The world received Jesus over 2000 years ago.  He is life giving and life changing and that is absolutely worth signing about!  



#Worship  #WorshipSongs  #Sing  #ChristmasMusic  #ChristmasCarols  #ChristmasSongs


Photo Credit:  picture of christmas music 


No comments:

Post a Comment