He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, April 2, 2012

To Much To Do


            I just looked at my to-do list for today and it’s ridiculous!  It seems there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything accomplished I need to, not to mention the things I’d like to do.  Do you ever feel like that?   Today I feel a little like Martha in Luke 10, in God’s word.  Mary, chooses to sit at Jesus feet, Martha is distracted by all the things she has to do!
            This makes me think about my friend who starts many projects and then doesn’t follow through to completion.  We’ve talked about why she does this and it usually comes down to she is fearful.  She’s smart, has the means and know how, but the fear of rejection and insecurity causes her to back away from the project when she is about half way there!
            Sometimes, as Christians we do the same thing.  We are excited about the Lord and want to become involved in activities that will enable us to further his kingdom.  We consider getting involved in the various tasks before us, decide we should help out and just as things start getting complicated we abruptly stop.  We fear if we complete this project before us successfully, will we be asked to do something even a little more taxing?  Will we be asked to do something we don’t want to do?  How would we say no?  What if we fail?
            This doesn’t just apply to activities.  It extends into our prayer life and Bible reading.  We may find ourselves in a situation requiring much prayer and then become afraid of the answer.  So we stop praying and reading his Word!  It may even be we feel God speaking to us through prayer or his scriptures and we become afraid God will ask us to do something we are sure we could not complete.  Or worse, something we wouldn’t even enjoy!
            God knows all things, including our thoughts, strengths and desires.  It is his strength on which we need to rely.  God is not going to bring us to something without bringing us through it!  We have much to learn in every challenge we face.  God has a way of teaching (and reaching) us even when we don’t expect it!
            As for my list of the day, it probably won’t be finished before the day is out, but God knows my limitations and my abilities and it is through him I can accomplish those things I must and those things that I purely enjoy!  Isn’t that just like God?  He knows me better than I do!  How wonderful!
            I’d like to add with Easter Sunday fast approaching, I wish each of you the joy of his love as we celebrate His resurrection!  

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."  Isaiah 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment