He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, June 25, 2012

Even When We're Tired




            Near the end of last year, I was approached by some members of our congregation and asked if I would write a Christmas play for the church.  They had specific criteria they wanted included and could not find it in the available material. 

My first reaction was something like panic since I’d never written a play before.  “That’s a whole new ball game for me!” I said.  “I don’t know if I can do it.”  Breathing deeply I said simply,  “I’ll have to pray about it and get back to you.”  And pray I did for several weeks.  I just wasn’t sure what to do!  I considered the possibility with excitement, fear and much uncertainty about my ability.  I wondered what I even knew about writing a play!   You have to worry about setting and what the people say and directions and all these things I have no clue about!  I was certainly out of my comfort zone!  So I prayed and waited.

Late one night I went to bed, completely exhausted as normal!  I was nearly asleep when I was suddenly awake, knowing exactly how to write the play!  I was absolutely amazed.   I could only say to the Lord, (and I even said it out loud-Charles hadn’t come in to bed yet.) “Okay, if you want me to write it then I will!” I closed my eyes and fell off to sleep.

What was equally amazing is I didn’t get up to write anything down, but had complete recollection of it in the morning!  Usually I forget that “magnificent thought” if I have it when I’m nearly asleep!  But in the morning I rose, got paper and pen, and it was just there!  God blessed me with the outline and followed up with dialogue and setting and direction and all the other elements needed to write the play!  

The Sunday school department was delighted because it was what they wanted.  God has a way of working things out when we let him. Even when we’re very tired, God can work his plan.   He has designs and purpose for us and it’s up to us to first recognize his voice in whatever form it comes and then carry out his instructions so that prosperity can come to further his kingdom.  What a wonder!  He indeed gives hope and joy and love.  What a God we serve! 

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.   Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment