He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, July 9, 2012

Lists and More Lists

             I am a list maker!  It seems I make the traditional grocery list, a to do list, a should do list, a cleaning list, a reading list, a study list….and on and on!  I seem to function better if I have something concrete in front of me giving me direction and keeping me focused!  I expect I’m not the only one.  In fact, there have been seminars which teach the proper way to keep these “lists” and use them most effectively in our lives.  That being said, I have never been to one, but wonder about its teachings!   The idea is to keep our lives managed and in some kind of working order!  I, being a list making kind of person, think this is wonderful!

            The idea that God is not a God of disorder seems to hold true with that theory.  We get more accomplished if we have some kind of clue just what it is we want to get done!  There is some discussion about whether the Bible intended the word “disorder” or “confusion” in the verse from 1 Corinthians 14. (below)   Paul was, incidentally talking about keeping things “orderly” during worship.  So how does this fit in with “confusion?”  

            I think it still applies.  The Word seems to be saying that God prefers order rather than confusion, in this case, in a worship service.  Why can’t that include more than just our worship services?  If it is right for worship service, then shouldn’t it also apply to our lives?  When our lives become so full of other things, we lose focus on whom we are to worship and then our lives are no longer orderly, but all askew with things of the world interfering with our time spent with God.  Isn’t this also a form of confusion?  Isn’t this also causing disorder in our lives?  I think so, because when we are experiencing disorder then we don't have peace.  

            When we lose sight of our goals with our Savior, which include living a Christian life and furthering His kingdom, we are beginning a downward spiral of disorder that left unchecked, can become a whirlwind leaving us extremely vulnerable to Satan.  So I’ll keep my lists….and yes, I even have one for Bible study.  I have much to learn.  God is an amazing, awesome God and I will never know (in this lifetime) even half of all there is to know about him.  I know HE knows what he wants for my life and it’s my job to discover it and be the person he wants me to be as I read, pray and listen to his voice!

For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.  1 Corinthians 14:33a

No comments:

Post a Comment