He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 21, 2013

Grounded In Him



           Almost everyone I know is at least a little concerned with the economic situation in our country!  Every day there are reports about more job loss, a sluggish economy, higher taxes, higher prices, lower wages, and a world that seems to have just gone crazy!  It leaves the mind whirling with questions, without any obvious answers and fills our lives with daily stress; for some to the brink of despair.

            It’s easy to get caught up in the vicious cycle of events over which we have no control.   Yet the situation touches each of us personally.  It brings some sort of response.  We are left wondering, ‘what in the world will happen next?’  We are intimately in tune with our pain and fears!  Our focus, because of our pain is on ourselves, which gets more and more narrow, as we  search for ways to get through the mess, with the least amount of grief and damage possible.

            Such focus, however, takes our concentration away from the One who can give us peace and bless us, despite the situation we are facing.  If we direct our attention to the Lord, we can be the “tree planted by the water” standing strong against the most formidable adversaries.  God is in control even when we can’t make sense of it.  Because of this, we can be sure there is going to be a positive benefit, even if we haven’t a clue at the moment what the benefit will be.  

            As humans with finite minds, we can’t know God’s thoughts yet we can be assured he has a plan.  Further, he is fully aware of all that has happened, and what’s more, he knows what is going to happen!  Our thinking processes are always in “discovery.”  His “thinking” is different.  He isn’t out to solve problems!  He already knows the answer!  Worrying about tomorrow is a futile act that takes more energy than I have and solves nothing!  

            God is always focused on us individually.  He knows our desires, our needs, our motives and our thoughts.   He even knows how I’m going to respond to stress when it finds me.  The best thing I can do in my world of constant “stress” is to stay in Him spiritually.  When I immerse myself in his word and in prayer, I am given a peace that passes human understanding.  My soul is comforted by his faithful, abiding love and from the knowledge that what is beyond my control is completely in God’s control.

            I want to be like that tree standing strong by the water.  I want to be able to deal with life’s hardships and challenges, which without God would pull me under in a current, strong and sinister.  I’d rather stay grounded and focused on the Father, while placing my cares and stress of the world at His feet, than to get so preoccupied with my issues that I miss the beauty of the life and the good, productive plan he has set me.

 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment