He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 28, 2013

Why Me?




I met a lady this past week at the VA hospital who was waiting on her husband to be seen by the dentist.  He’d had surgery on his face for cancer a few months earlier and while in recovery had a heart attack!  So he spent additional time at University Hospital and they weren’t at all sure he was going to make it.  Following the heart attack and chemo they wanted to see if the chemo damaged his teeth!

In another situation a friend of mine endured a tragic loss in the same year.  Her son was killed in a motorcycle accident near Thanksgiving and by Christmas she lost her daughter who had been the victim of kidnapping, rape and murder.  How much worse could it get?

I have so much to be grateful for.  Sometimes I get lost in my “why is this happening to me world” and then recognize my world isn’t nearly as horrible as my mind imagines! I realize when I am focusing on me, I lose sight of what is important and all the things that matter which are good!  I am indeed blessed!

I have a Lord who has forgiven me, looks past what I was and sees me righteous.  Further, He is a mighty healer, comforter, gracious and merciful!  One day I will be swept away to a glorious place beyond my mind’s imagination.  In the meantime I have a family who loves me, which continues to grow!  (We were just blessed with our eleventh grand baby last week!)  I have a warm home, nice clothes, plenty of food, an amazing church family and a multitude of friends.  I have much to be thankful for and should shout from the roof tops the sentiment of the Psalmist, “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!"

Do you find yourself looking at your life wondering when things will get better?  Have you ever thought that as bad as things are for you, your neighbor may have it worse and have deeper troubles than your own?  This is often the case.  If there isn’t someone you know who is worse off than you, I suspect if you checked the news, you would find someone.  

As humans, we are so quick to lose sight of how we are blessed and immediately focus on the unpleasant things, whether it’s physical, economical, or social.  If we would remember that our spiritual lives are as important as any of the other aspects of our lives, we would be digging deeper into God’s word to find what he has to say about the matter!

  This is my goal: to mine the wealth of information God has for me in his word.  Perhaps you would accept the challenge and join me in the pursuit of happiness through His divine leading.  We can use His word as guidance for all aspects of our life and discover true contentment and happiness.

Psalms 103:1-5 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment