He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, January 7, 2013

Little Miracles




    A friend shared recently “little miracles” which occurred during her day:  “I was asked unexpectedly to take a lady to a doctor appointment.  Understand,” she said, “this lady is a 350 pound invalid.”

“I picked her up as planned and got her all settled in the car and we drove to the doctor’s office.  Got her out of the car and situated in her wheelchair, but I discovered I was unable to push her up the ramp into the doctor’s office.  I was getting really frustrated and finally said, Lord please help me!  About that time a man drove up, also to see the doctor, and immediately took charge of the wheelchair!

“Then it was the return trip home and everything was fine until I had her out of the car and again into the wheelchair.  It had been raining and between the dirt and the lip on the sidewalk we were completely stuck and I again breathed a prayer:  Lord, please help me.  This isn’t working!  I no sooner had the prayer off my lips and the UPS truck drove up.  The driver again came to my rescue and pushed the wheelchair up the ramp so I could get her into the house.  God is good!”

I loved her story, because I think we forget that God is aware of all things we think, desire, are going through and what is already going to happen!  We get so wrapped up in our personal situations, it doesn’t occur to us the anxiety we are feeling isn’t necessary.  We have a God who can take the most complex circumstances or those which seem silly and insignificant to others (although not necessarily to us as it is happening!) and deal with it in ways our minds could never fathom!

Congress just passed the “fiscal cliff’ band aid, leaving us without a “fix” for the real problem.  Many will see taxes go up and cut backs in areas desperately needed, while the leaders in Washington DC bicker and fuss and refuse to deal with the issues in a Godly manner!  The issues that loomed before the band-aid, will just loom larger in a couple months leaving us wondering what in the world is going to happen to our pay checks, jobs, and life as we know it!

So where does this leave us?  Our world is abounding with sin and evil at every turn.  It offers escapes through substance abuse, moral degradation, violent video games, TV shows and other unthinkable diversions.  But there is no peace, only greater and greater stress and anxiety.  

There is another option.  We can choose the peace of Christ.  This includes accepting Christ as our Savior, trusting, and surrendering our lives to him fully.  When we do this we can allow God’s power to bring about His plan for our lives.  When we know His plan, everything else takes on a whole new perspective!  Just like the darkness behind the double rainbows in my photo, we are certain to have dark days, adversity and trials in our lives; but when we are in God, we can face those tribulations like the miracle and beauty of the rainbow in the knowledge that God stands with us and for us and can defeat any enemy we face.

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment