He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 4, 2013

Disciplining to Study



             This past week my husband and I met our newest grandson.  What a treat!  He has the advantage of having parents who love the Lord and will look to God for guidance and strength on how to raise him properly.  I have heard it said time and again that there are no instruction manuals for raising children.  I disagree, although I am certain there are many who would counter such a thought.  If one searches God's word, there is a wealth of information on the proper way to raise our little people.  

            All that being said, I am always amazed at the variety of Bible studies available.  There are studies on individuals, topics, specific books of the Bible, themes, and any number of ideas and in a huge amount of formats.  Videos are available to enhance the study experience, as are a number of commentaries.   Sometimes the information can be so overwhelming it becomes confusing as you read the thoughts from the different authors.   Recently my husband considered using a puzzle format to help him study and over the years, I have used a variety of different methods to dig into His word, depending on the topic.

            I don't believe God cares at all how you study, so long as you do.  It seems when I deliberately take the time to sit with paper, pencil, Bible and other study material in front of me first thing in the morning, my day runs much more smoothly.  It seems the time spent communing in this environment, sets my heart and mind with God.  My thoughts are less tangled and mood more in line with godly thoughts, than if I neglect to take the time to connect with my Lord and Savior. 

            The goal of study is to gain knowledge and understanding of God.  It is in this place we can find the laws and principles of God, our rights and inheritances, our boundaries, and ultimately who we are and what our duties are in the whole scheme of things, while on this earth.   Study also enables each of us to teach others who are just coming into the Kingdom, as well as, the ability to teach our growing children the ways of God, as directed in Deuteronomy 4:5-9.  It is our responsibility to know Gods instruction and claiming ignorance is not acceptable since He made it possible for each of us to have proximity to him via His word and through prayer.

            Much like the athlete who works out every day to become better fit, to run a race or climb a mountain; my goal is to find grace, grow in His strength and stamina as I learn to discipline myself to study God's word more diligently every single day.  I want to know God up close and personal.   This would be living life to the fullest!



Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.   Psalm 105:4 

No comments:

Post a Comment