He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, February 25, 2013

Finding Quiet Time



            I have been the participant in a variety of weekly, group Bible Studies over the years, but my friend and I are embarking on a different kind of journey in personal Bible Study.  Our goal is to be accountable to each other, daily while we grow in Christian strength and wisdom.  She shared quiet time in her world is extremely difficult to find.  I understand!  Quiet time in my life, on some days is nearly non-existent, yet it is what God wants.  Being still and listening for His voice is best accomplished when we are quiet and out of the noises and interruptions of our world.  It is here we allow our hearts and minds to connect with God.

Explaining, my friend said, “Just when I think I have a half hour block set aside, someone calls and needs me, whether it’s a neighbor, one of my kids or someone else unexpected.  Or there is a knock on the door for a surprise visit, or someone comes in my office needing assistance.  Quiet time just doesn’t seem to happen, no matter how well I plan!”

  Or like me, there are times her head simply won’t let her rest until she finishes dishes, the laundry, or any of the other myriad domestic duties that keep calling.  Before both of us know it, in each of our respective worlds, the clock informs us it is time to start dinner and then we are faced with the ever present chore of dishes to be done again and other responsibilities that refuse to take a back seat in our lives.  To make matters worse, Satan reminds us of our shortcomings, not only for today, but yesterday, and even last year, making us feel guilty and filled with regret.   At the end of the day we finally find ourselves exhausted, wanting nothing more than time to wind down and go to sleep!  

            In each of these instances where interruptions have occurred that altered the plan of being in God’s word, I suggest it is Satan’s way of attempting to steal treasured time with his arch enemy, Christ.  Satan is purposeful in killing desire and destroying motivation and dedication toward what the Lord desires and requires of His children.  On days like those described above, it seems Satan has won.  Yet, as a child of God, I am responsible for knowing what is in His word.  This is where having a partner in the battle is especially rewarding.  I know I count on her, first to pray for me and then expect me to complete the assigned reading and devotion time, prepared for discussion and reflection each day.  (We will do this via email since we do not see each other daily, and will allow for continued study even when I am away.)  Likewise, she will, by God’s grace, ready herself, as I pray for her, for our “daily meeting” to discuss her thoughts and feelings about what she’s read.

            I am convinced God will bless our efforts and I look forward to Him doing great things in our lives and through us, despite Satan’s efforts to frustrate us.  We don’t have to allow “the thief” to destroy our fellowship and communion time with God.  It does, however, take commitment, dedication and a willingness to put God first in our lives.  When we do, we are sure to find inexpressible joy, and as promised, have life to the full!

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  John 10:10

No comments:

Post a Comment