He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 11, 2013

Blocking the Attacks



            I’ve been working on several different Bible studies and each offers awesome insights.  One is all about breaking the ties of bondage, while another is about being a woman after God’s own heart and still another is on James, the brother of Jesus.
            To be a woman after God’s own heart is intriguing.  I’ve known for years that David was called “a man after God’s own heart” so it struck me as odd, that as a woman, I could have the same relationship.  I don’t know why “odd,” it just didn’t occur to me (who knows why?) that God would offer that relationship to someone like me!  So here I have been learning about drawing near to a God that loves me and cares about me, knows me better than I know myself, and desires the best for me.
            The study on bondage has been revealing because I wasn’t aware of the many ways a person could be held prisoner and the various ways Satan deceives us.  He attacks in our comfort zones and beguiles us with trickery and clever deceptions, so much so, we don’t recognize it for what it is.
            I won’t go into the James study just now, since that one is only beginning, but these two studies have taught me that it is in my best interest to stay away from anything that contaminates my relationship with God, while purposely setting a time every day to spend with Him.  How can I draw near to God if I don’t discipline myself to walk in His way or follow His leading?  How can I grow if I don’t feed myself daily on his Word and commune with him in prayer?  And how can I know that Satan is attacking me if I’m not aware of his vicious ploys and recognize my own weaknesses, thereby opening the door of vulnerability? 
            Satan has been attacking the family since the dawn of time, when he first offered the apple to Eve.  Even now, if there are any small chinks in the relationship of husband and wife, you can be sure Satan is going to jump on it with both feet and all the energy he can muster!  He attacks our identity by asking if we are certain we know who we are in God and how we are to function, as well as, pushing the boundary lines farther and farther out within our culture and often even within the church.  He uses our minds and thought processes to lie and deceive us about right and wrong and creates desires in us that have the potential to become idols, while being so subtle we don’t realize it.  
            Satan’s goal is not only get satisfaction from watching us struggle, but for us to become so confused we finally turn our back on God and everything we know that is right.  Therefore, it is imperative every single day to study, pray and stay strong in the faith if we are going to be able to block successfully, in every area of our lives, all the destruction Satan has for us. 

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.                       2 Corinthians 7:1

No comments:

Post a Comment