He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, March 25, 2013

Dreaming With A Passion



While in college I had a professor that asked each student in his class to give a presentation demonstrating and sharing about his or her passion.  He believes our passions are what drive us in life.  Some of the married students shared pictures and stories about their families, others about their jobs or interests.  The guys shared sports, cars and one young man even brought in his pet snake, (scaring the wits out of some in the room, including me!)  I shared my writing and my love of quilting by sharing some of the published work I had, and several quilts.
            We had a pastor visit our church back in December who spoke on having a passion for God and the church.  I was struck by both the simplicity of the statement, yet the distance we often have for both subjects!  If passions, like my professor believes, drive our lives, then most of us are way off base, if we don’t include God and the church! 
            We are instructed to put God first, but do we?  This pastor continued by saying, whatever we put first in our lives, before God and the church, has in essence become an idol.  That’s a tough thing.  I don’t believe we set out to put something else first.  It’s just what comes easy.  It’s what we enjoy….It is often our passion!
I want desperately to put God as my number one passion, along with the church, then my family and then all the rest of the “stuff” I enjoy.  One of the Bible studies I am working in asked recently what my dream is of who and where I want to be spiritually in one year.  Then it asked for my dreams spiritually ten years from now.  This is very personal, but this is part of what I came up with! 
My dream for the next year:  Participate DAILY in a Bible study ….  Finish writing a Bible study book, write my newest novel; Learn 52 Bible verses (one a week); Read two Christian books, begin another blog.
My dream for ten years:   Participate DAILY in Bible study. Have written eight more books;  Take a Bible course…(college)?    Learn a verse a week (52 x 10 years= 520)…maybe memorize an entire book…  James?  Be active in another ministry? 

Be the best servant I can be to God.  Be the best wife I can be to Charles. Be the best mother/grandmother I can be to my children and grand children, be a good friend…..  and there is so very much more! 

Is my list intimidating?  A little.  Is it doable?  I think yes, if I keep my spiritual fervor for God!  I believe God will take me as far and as fast as I want to go----as long as I stay in His will!  It will take much focus, perseverance and determination.  

Jesus stayed focused on his Father’s will to the point of death on the cross.  He was so passionate about his love for me that he was willing to sacrifice his life for me.  Considering His sacrifice, certainly, I can be passionate enough about the gifts he’s given me to serve him as I work toward becoming the person and woman he wants me to be. 

 I challenge you to consider your gifts, your passions.  Do they include Christ, as Lord and Savior?  What are your dreams for the next year…..or ten years?  Will you be led by the Holy Spirit’s counsel to “dream” for Jesus?


Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Romans 12:11
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment