He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 8, 2014

After I Die

         The Pastor has been doing a series on “What happens after we die.”  While some would consider it a morbid subject I find it fascinating.  Please don’t misunderstand, I have no desire to die just now, but I think it’s worth thinking about, since when I leave this earth, I'm going to spend eternity somewhere!

            I take great pleasure in spending time with those I love.  Sometimes it is collectively with the ladies of the church in amazing fellowship.  Other times it is with a friend in one on one time.  Often I spend time with my children whether on the phone (since several live many miles away), or via facebook messaging or in person and of course I spend time with my husband!  And as grandmother I completely enjoy my very special grandchildren.  A friend said once, “Times like these are medicine to my heart.”  She is absolutely right!

            I know however, the day will come when I will leave this earth.  First I want my funeral to be a celebration, not a sad farewell….   But I can’t help wonder (even though you may think me odd) --  what the speakers will say about me and my life, at my funeral. ---What kind of wife, mother or grandmother was I; or daughter, cousin, or aunt?  What kind of friend was I, or working associate?  What character qualities did others see in me?  What contribution, or achievements will people remember—or will they even remember any?  What difference have I made in people’s lives around me?

            I would like to think I was a good wife, dedicated and loyal.  As a mother I expect there are different views depending on the child, but mostly I hope they believe at least I did my best, even if I failed each of them from time to time.  As a grandmother, again descriptions would vary because of geography, if nothing else, since distance alters relationships.  And I suspect my parents, cousins and co-workers also had their varied opinions of me that might have changed from time to time.  

 But I’d like to think my character qualities were fairly consistent and could be described as loyal, upbeat or happy, encouraging, honest, godly, creative, dedicated and making a difference in people’s lives; I hope positive affirmation.

 My point is each of us has this one life to make a difference, to do something good as we touch other people’s lives.  I wonder if we don’t get so caught up in our own day to day issues we forget why we are here.  Do we get lost in being so “busy” with life we lose perspective of what is really important? 

The Pastor made a comment some weeks ago that kind of stuck with me, “The only thing you can take to heaven with you is other people!”  We get so wrapped up in getting ahead and being successful we lose sight of the people around us who won’t make it to heaven if we don’t plant the seed of the Gospel and thus leaving them with the unpleasant (actually the horrific) alternative. 

 I am responsible for my eternal decision, because I will die (unless the Rapture happens first).  But I am also responsible to the people I have contact with, to the point at least of sharing the Good News.  It’s what we are called to do as Christian disciples.  So I challenge you this week.  Consider first your own destination.  Do you know where you will spend eternity?  Consider also your neighbor, co-worker, friend, family members or acquaintance.  Have you offered the Gospel to them?  What will these people say about you after you are gone?


No comments:

Post a Comment