He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 1, 2014

This Is Not The Time To Pray



        I attended a worship service many years ago where structure was a dominant theme.  We had a bulletin we followed closely, rarely veering from the program.   

       Our family has always sat in one of the three front rows since I am a rather short person and want to be able to see the speaker and not be distracted from what goes on around me.  I was surprised one Sunday morning, about mid-way through the service,  when a man stood up some rows behind me and completely disrupted the Pastor’s routine.  Shabbily dressed, in need of a shave and looking like he’d not had a bath in a while, the middle aged man who looked older than his years walked out into the isle and asked, “Will you pray for me?”

“This is not the time to pray,” the Pastor said.

“But I need you to pray for me,” the man persisted.

“I told you, it’s not the time to pray.  We will pray later.”

Again, the man said.  “I really need you to pray for me.”

“I’m sorry, it just can’t be done right now.  Have a seat and I will pray with you later.”  I can’t remember if the man actually sat down or left the service.  I was stunned.  The service continued like the interruption had never occurred.  I haven’t a clue if the Pastor and the man ever had any discussion and I don’t know if the Pastor ever prayed for him. 

If that had been Jesus standing there instead of this man, would the Pastor have stopped what he was doing, veered from his normal routine and prayed?  I guess a better question would be if we asked Jesus for His time, to listen to us while we prayed, how would we feel if He said, “This is not the time to pray.”

This episode has haunted me for years.  I can’t help but wonder what ever happened to the man.  What kind of impression was made on him that day?  Did he lose his faith in people?  Did it cause a chasm of cynicism toward Christians that was never repaired?  Do I inadvertently project a behavior that is un-Christ like?  What impact does my behavior have on other people?

I suggest this IS the time to pray.   It is time like no other!  As Christians we are facing persecution like we’ve never known here in America.  Our constitution assures us of “free speech” and “freedom of religion” yet more and more instances are occurring where our rights to worship is being violated and slowly negated! 

We’ve become the minority because we’ve allowed it!  The line between right and wrong has become so blurred it’s barely distinguishable.  We’ve become a people of tolerance because to “not tolerate” is considered racist, bigotry, not politically correct or any other definition you’d choose to use which says we accept things as they are. 

I’m not remotely suggesting causing a riot, becoming violent or anything like that!  What I am suggesting--- and rather strongly--- is prayer!  We need to bend our knees in prayer, look up to heaven and plead with God for strength!  We need wisdom and guidance and the courage to stand up for what is right; and the courage to stand up for The Lord.


To designate only a “specific time frame” to pray is stifling!  It is always the time to pray, even if it is done silently!  God can hear our thoughts anyway and even the prayer breathed in silence is heard.  But God wants to hear our collective hearts and voices being raised to Him for all the issues before us……  and He also wants grateful hearts.  Hearts that are thankful for His intervening, protection, direction, meeting our needs and for being a God who loves us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment