He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, August 3, 2015

Imitating The Father

          In a discussion with a friend this week I thought about my personal need and desire to know Christ more.  Oh, I study---a variety of different formats, texts, and I search scripture, but I am often left with more questions than I have answers!  One thing I’m certain about is salvation by grace and it only comes through Jesus Christ.  Still the idea of “working out my salvation with fear and trembling while learning obedience to God,” kind of threw me!   But there it was in Philippians 2:12, telling me to do just that!

            I’ve always believed Salvation is a gift!  ---a free gift if a person will repent, ask Christ to be His Savior and then turn away from his sins.  So why do I have to “work” at it? As I researched this thought further, I discovered it has to do with taking responsibility for every thought and action that opposes the ways and Word of God.  We are expected to recognize and replace untruths with God’s truth.  This is being obedient as we work toward being Christ-like!

            It’s interesting to watch little children emulate parents or grandparents.  Our one little grand daughter caused us to chuckle more than once as she did her best to mimic every move her Grandaddy did! If he crossed his feet, she did.  If he was reading a book, she read a book.  If his hand was on his hip, she did her best to imitate the stance.  I think that’s what “working out our salvation” must mean!  We are to do our very best to imitate Christ in every area of our lives; whether it’s speech, attitudes, behaviors, thoughts and certainly actions!  As we press forward in our effort to be Christ-like, we are indeed working out our salvation, because we are being obedient to His teaching.

            This isn’t always easy in our instant gratification, materialistic world.  When you add the wiles, deception, and underhanded ways satan uses to twist and manipulate information, thought processes, and situations to his benefit, trying to imitate Christ can be challenging.  It sets us apart from our non-believing family and friends.  It means we have to make choices that create splits in relationships as we are called to stand up for what’s right.

            I was in conversation today, about how our world is changing and how important it is to be part of a strong body of Christ as our world challenges us to stand up or blend in.  Caving in and “blending” is going to be easy if we aren’t part of a unified body.  So as we “work” actively in pursuing obedience while having a “healthy fear” of disobeying Christ, then we can positively grow and mature in our faith!

            Satan continually bombards us with his twisted manipulating lies.  We must be spiritually prepared to rebuke him, and it takes work, just like it would take work to get any degree from college!  It takes planning, and deliberately setting a time apart from everything else to spend time in study and communication with the Greatest Teacher that has ever lived:  with God!

            So I challenge you!  Dig into God’s Word!  Prepare you heart and mind with the knowledge and spiritual understanding that can only come from God.  We are in a war; a spiritual war and the stakes are high.  Eternity is on the horizon.  Do you know where you will spend it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment