He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, September 19, 2016

God Keeps His Promises

           
     “We’re going to the park tomorrow.  I promise!” I heard my friend say to her youngest, who kept asking if they could visit her favorite place.  “There isn’t any time today.  Aunt Susan is coming over and then it will be dinner time.  Daddy will be home soon and it just isn’t happening.”

            “Tomorrow,” however, doesn’t turn out like planned.  Janie, Ellen’s sibling ends up getting sick and spoils plans.  “But you promised!” wailed, Ellen.

            “I know and I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have.  I didn’t know Janie was going to be sick today.  I’m hoping we can go tomorrow.”

            There have been times when I, too, have unwittingly made a promise I couldn’t keep, especially to my children.  My intentions were pure enough, but circumstances countered my plans.  Even though the word “promise” wasn’t spoken, my children took me at my word.  When plans were changed, my children were crushed because they had counted on what I said.

            But this can also happen between adults.  All too often, however, when promises are broken in this venue, adults are not so easily placated as children.  Harsh words can be spoken, explanations ignored, accusations made and relationships broken.

            I am so glad God doesn’t go back on His promises.  They are always made good!  His promises are those we can always count on.  He is true to his word, even when we doubt it like Zachariah did when he was promised a son as described in Luke 1. Zachariah’s son was John, the “messenger that prepared the way.”  God promised the world a Messiah.  His promise was fulfilled in the birth of Jesus. 

All the promises made by God will be fulfilled.  Many already have.  We are living in the end times.  Just as God promised a Messiah, so he promised that Jesus would return.  Think of it!  We are likely living in the generation of the Rapture of the Church!  So many promises and prophesies fulfilled!

We know Israel became a nation, once again in 1948.   We know there is international conflict over Israel and that the temple is to be rebuilt.  There is much discussion about the temple.  There are claims that material is at the ready to begin!  There are wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes and all kinds of calamities worldwide, discussion about a one world monetary system, language, and “new world order.”  There are all kinds of new religions—yet even talk of a one world religion, and false teachers.

There is a knowledge explosion that can make your head spin, travel capabilities beyond one’s imagination, scoffers, a falling away—churches around the world show statistically that people have stopped attending; violence, terrorism, crime, corruption, cheating, stealing and total indecency through the general population.  God’s Word tells us all this will happen!


He also tells us we will live with him in eternity if we have accepted him as our Savior.  God doesn’t go back on his promises.  The promise of Jesus' return will be filled sooner than most think!  Are we ready?  I challenge you to reflect on your relationship with Christ.  Are you where you need to be?  Do you know Him as Lord and Savior?  Where will you spend eternity? There are only two options: heaven and hell; and one is as real as the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment