He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, October 17, 2016

In Expectation

         
        I’ve found when I watch a television show at night, very often the story will remain with me the next day.  That’s a good thing when the show is wholesome and family oriented, like "The Walton’s"—my absolute favorite, or if a movie has a particularly powerful message like "Facing The Giants" which I find hugely inspirational.  But when I watch a particularly violent or angry show, (even a police show can upset me) I find my sleep is affected and I’m still bothered about it the next day.  And if the story has something to do with harming a child, I will choose not to watch it because it upsets me so much I can barely function!

            What is wonderful however, is when I wake to music---already in my mind!  Some mornings I wake with a song in my mind that makes no sense to me!  They are sometimes very old songs like the one from Charley Pride decades ago “Kiss An Angel Good Morning,” a child’s song like “Kum ba yah,” a Christmas Carol like “Mary Did You Know?” or even a jingle line from a TV commercial—which usually means nothing at all.....and may not even make any sense!

Somewhere deep within my memory, the words and lyrics come out.  I am delighted when I wake with a hymn or a melody from Christian music I’d heard the day before or sang earlier in the week at church; which certainly comes from my “short term memory” with the music fresh in my mind.

I’ve found when I read my Bible regularly, whether morning or night, the words I’ve read stay with me.  The Psalmist knew this long ago and encourages us to do the same.  He knew when he read God’s laws, those words would influence his actions all day because he could meditate on what was fresh in his memory.  

What we feed our minds and hearts will affect our moods, our conversations and general attitude all day.   Studies show that even “upbeat music” can have a positive effect on our health!  How much more so then, when we sustain ourselves with His Word!

When we nourish our souls and minds with God’s Word and Gospel music, our day will likely be happier, leading to better health and better relationships.  God can work through music just like he does His Word.

The Psalmist found that if he laid his requests before the Lord in the morning, he could wait in peaceful expectation for whatever answer God chose to give.  When we commune with God whether first thing in the morning or in the evening and meditate on his word we can wait in peaceful expectation to hear when his still clear voice penetrates our thoughts much like the songs that run through my mind upon waking in the morning.

So I challenge you to let God’s Word be the last thing you see/read at night and then wake in the morning to His voice via His Word, followed by music that brings worship and praise to Him….and feel better all day!



1 comment:

  1. After analyzing your article you have to recognize what I surely have written here gala apple nutrition facts . This one is being written after you have a proposal from you.

    ReplyDelete