He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, October 3, 2016

No Time To Relax


           
         My children fuss with me because I don’t sit and enjoy a book, play games on the computer or just sit out in the sun.  When I’m reading, I’m usually studying.  When I’m on the computer, I’m usually “working.”   Even when I sit out in the sun, I’m usually working on something!  They tell me I don’t take enough time to just relax.  It isn’t that I wouldn’t like to just sit and put my feet up, slow down and take it easy, but I don't feel like I have the time.  So I do take breaks; they are usually just short ones!

            It’s important to me, however, to do my “domestic duties,” (dirty dishes in the sink make me nuts and a bed unmade is traumatic!) It’s crucial I get my writing out on time, (I feel responsible for meeting deadlines in writing, even if they are my own making), take time to study (although I admit I don’t always get that accomplished like I’d like), spend time with my family (never enough of this!), sew (my list is ridiculous!) and do a hundred other things I’d just like to do!  It seems like that’s just the way I am “wired.” 

            God doesn’t relax and “do nothing.”  He is always accomplishing “something.”  When I consider all the people who are always calling on him, I am awed.  I have issues when two or three of my family request things all at the same time.  It’s a struggle to juggle everyone’s needs and still accomplish all I feel needs to be done.

            Each day is a day closer to his return.  Those who don’t know him are oblivious to this very real scenario.  Their world is material goods and “enjoying” today without giving any thought to their eternal destination.  It is our duty to be working to enlighten those who are unaware. 

            Sometimes it seems all our efforts to share our testimony falls on deaf ears.  We question our methods, our presentation and our ability.  We become frustrated because it seems like no one is listening.  And there are those in our family who consider us fanatic or lunatics to keep pressing the matter.

            Yet…..God says his Word will not return empty.  He is always working with someone to accomplish his goals.  Each person has unique abilities and God works through these talents to accomplish what he pleases.  

It isn’t our responsibility to “convert” someone else, no matter how much we’d like to take the credit!  This is the job of the Holy Spirit.  Our duty is to share! The end result is heaven filled with his children who responded to his words and caused it to flourish.

            When we don’t stay busy, things don’t get done. When we don’t get things “done” we are failing God.  We are not doing what His Word commands.  All we can do is our best and let God do the rest!

I suspect God stays busy, working with all his children.  He must get real frustrated when we, as humans, lose focus and turn our mind on ourselves rather than what he’s called us to do.  Time is running out and as Christians, we have to stay focused on God’s will to further his Kingdom in whatever way He has chosen to lead us.


No comments:

Post a Comment