He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 4, 2019

The Dreaded "C" Word

          Some years ago, I knew a woman who worked with my husband who discovered she had cancer.  It was a difficult time, but she was amazing and wanted nothing but a celebration for her funeral.  And while we wept at the loss of her in our physical midst, we knew she was no longer in pain and suffering.
            Years later, I lost another friend who didn’t have the same mindset as my friend who worked with my husband, but she was still strong.  Her funeral was not as celebratory, but we were able to work through it more easily because she too was now, no longer suffering.
            I have a relative who has cancer and was told recently he has only several more months to live.  How do we deal with this?  It’s different with each person.  Part of it depends on relationship.  When we have a very strong bond with someone, the pain is more intense.  There is so little or even nothing we can do, and that brings even more pain.  But I'm convinced it has much to do with the faith both the person with the cancer has, and the person who mourns.
            My mom had cancer, and while that evil did not take her life, she did have a double mastectomy.  I’ve been told I am at high risk for the dreaded “C” word due to my parental history and the fact that I had five children.  Does this frighten me?  Not really, at the moment.  Should it become a reality, I may have huge fears.
            I see this in another relative who is facing the possibility that she might have cancer.  She’s been told she has tumors pushing against her lymph nodes and yes, she is fearful, to a point.  She’s asked for prayer. 
            In church this week, the Pastor was talking about how as a child he believed God could do anything!  ANYTHING!  He had no doubt.  God was God and he could do just what he wanted.  He continued.  As life continues and we grow into adults, we often say God CAN do anything, but the world has jaded our perspective and while we know he CAN, we wonder if he will. 
            Doubts from life’s circumstances and human wisdom cause us, even as a Believer, to become cynical.  We look at situations from an earthy perspective, with Science and the ‘wisdom of the doctor’s’ mentality.  We kind of blast God right out of the water!  Our focus changes and rather than keeping our eyes on the Lord, we turn our eyes to the side, and the waves of doubt drown out our faith.  Even Peter, who was walking on the water while facing Jesus, starting sinking due to his doubt, when he took his eyes off Jesus.
            I remember the movie “Facing The Giants,” which has become my all time favorite!  It hits so many chords with me.  We all face fears, often in everyday kinds of situations.  Of course, there are many levels of fear, and sometimes the beast is very large, like the dreaded "C" word.  
           I wonder, what is your greatest fear at this moment?  How do you face your fears---  or “Giants?”  

No comments:

Post a Comment