He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, November 11, 2019

The Ringing Of The Bells

          There is something absolutely inspiring about hearing church bells on Sunday morning or the ringing of a church bell choir playing a familiar hymn.  Bells ring in the New Year and sometimes bells will ring on Christmas Eve.  Bells were used in the early years to round up the cowboys on a ranch to let everyone know it was time for dinner, and used by the town crier to announce any big news that would affect the settlement.  And one of my favorite things to hear, is the ringing of chimes on my porch as the wind moves them softly!

            While I enjoy the sound of bells and even chimes, I have one friend who loathes the sound.  She and her husband at one point bought a home and the previous owners left a small wind chime in a nearby tree.  While visiting one sunny afternoon, I heard the “music” and commented on how wonderful it was.  She immediately went to the tree and took it down and handed it to me.  “Here,” she said.  “I hate them!  They are totally noisy and distracting!”

            And of course bells are signals that a change is about to happen.  In our school system bells rings to announce a change of classes, or a fire drill or other emergency.  They can be used as a wake-up call, or an announcing an incoming telephone call.

            I couldn’t help but wonder if there is an actual religious symbolism after I saw bells ringing one night in my mind, after prayer.  Bells in the Bible aren’t mentioned often, but seen in Exodus 28 and 39 where it describes bells being part of the adornment on the robes the High Priest wore into the Holy of Holies, so the sound could be heard by those outside, and know that the Priest was not dead.
            According to some searching on the internet the official symbolism in Christianity, is “said to represent the ‘voice of God;’” and it “represents the mind’s ability to ascend conscious awareness and tap into the wisdom of our higher conscious—which is boundless.”   https://mastermindcontent.co.uk/the-symbolic-meaning-of-bells/
            I don’t know how much of that is true, but if it is, the assumption is that we need to listen to hear God’s voice.  That part is true!  And bells aren’t even a part of that knowledge.  But if you add bells to the equation, then whenever we hear a bell ringing, whether it be in an emergency (and often I find myself saying a prayer when I pass by a fire truck, or ambulance –although that’s more of a siren), but bells ringing for an alarm, a telephone call or a church bell whether on Sunday morning; or any time during the week or even the soft chimes that ring outside my door when the wind blows, it can work as a reminder that I can speak to the Lord about anything on my heart and know He hears me.  I only need to listen to hear his voice.
            I am thankful God gives us reminders of things.  It’s so easy to forget in our modern world.   We get so wrapped up in our lives we sometimes, even forget God!  Worship him today no matter where you are or what you are doing; while listening for the bells!  
            An added note!  Today is Veteran’s Day so we have another reason to be thankful, and a reason for a time of remembrance!  Thank you to ALL Veterans, past and present for your dedication and sacrifice for our country!  

No comments:

Post a Comment