He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 26, 2022

I Am The Daughter Of A King

        

        We just celebrated Christmas!  I hope yours was all you expected.  Christmas fell on Sunday this year.  I remember many years ago when it fell on Sunday, but our children were really young, and we opted to not attend services that morning.  I felt absolutely horrible when the Pastor told us the following Sunday only a few families had attended the previous week and only one, with young children.  I admit that still haunts me!  

This year it isn’t just young children that held people back from attending services, but the weather!  Admittedly, it was brutal outside, many have feet of snow, not a coating, like we in the coastal east side of the states, but the temperatures are frigid.  


It makes me wonder though, when services in church aren’t an option for Christmas morning when it falls on Sunday, if we remember to pull out God’s Word and reflect on the scriptures?  I’d like to say all those years ago when my children were small, I can’t remember doing that; and we are Believers!  I think that’s why it’s haunted me so.

This incident makes me wonder who I am as I consider the magnitude of Christ coming as an infant child!  I know I am wife to Charles, mother to five grown children and grandmother to 17 grandchildren.  I know I am friend to many, an aunt, sister, and even writer.  But what is most important?  Are these identities what defines me?   Even though I’ve been a follower of Christ for many years, for a long time, I thought it did.  

People were confused about who Jesus was too, as he walked among them as a human.  Some believed he was a Prophet; others wondered if he was the Promised Messiah, yet couldn’t get a handle on this idea because of his birth geography!  Further, many believed the Messiah would come as a great king to overthrow Rome; a great conqueror!  Instead they are seeing a Man who claimed to be God; who offered living water.  Who was this man, Jesus?

He changed lives, forgave sins, raised men from the dead, and healed many.  He knew the scriptures and taught, even at the tender age of twelve.  His identity was confusing to those who didn’t believe it was possible he was the Messiah, even after he told them, using scriptures, that it was so! 

As I look at my list of “who I am” it occurs to me there’s something much greater than these earthly identities.  It’s who I am in Christ!  It’s been a joy discovering this!  There are countless scriptures that defines this.  I’m trying my best to memorize them, so when days are going badly (and even when they aren’t) I can pull on them to strengthen my heart and soul to continue moving forward.   

There is quite the list, but I’m going to focus on just a few.  First I am the daughter of the King.  (1 John 3:1) Secondly, I am loved.  (Jeremiah 31:3) I am delighted in. (Zephaniah 3:17) I am a masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10) I am forgiven.  (1 Peter 2:24) I am washed clean. (Isaiah 1:18) I am free. (Galatians 5:1)

Each of these verses are solid Biblical truths and therefore I know I can believe they are relevant to me.  God’s Word is filled with these truths and more, to build us up and draw us to Him.  He wants an intimate relationship with us.  As I focus on these statements, it makes me realize I have something important to give---not only back to the Father, but to those around me.  

As I live out these beliefs—every day of the year, I want Christ to be seen in me (or in spite of me!).  How can He not be? Our lives mirror what we believe; and what we believe in our hearts, we live, speak through our words, and project to others.  

We are embarking on a new year, with more opportunities for new adventures.  I encourage you to consider “who you are;” not just as a person navigating this earthly life, but as a child of God.  Let it give you comfort, encourage and empower you to move onward and forward in 2023.  


Photo Credit: free christmas pics 


No comments:

Post a Comment