He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:3a

Monday, December 19, 2022

My Spiritual Wish List

 

       According to the dictionary, a wish is a strong desire for something that is not only not easily achievable, but what is likely not going to happen.  I suppose that’s why television shows which use this as a focal point of the story, is so interesting.  For example, there is a couple who individually wish over a special fountain, or star, and in the end their wish usually comes true, despite all the obvious distractions and complications.

I saw a post recently that was called “My Spiritual Wish List.”  The title bothered me, but I still opened it and read the article.  I’m, still left “bothered!”   The author’s wishes included being more in tuned to the Holy Spirit and a mind that is transformed like Christ’s.  It was all about being holy and godly, trusting Jesus, and clinging to God.


The list itself, in my opinion seems just wonderful.  Shouldn’t we all lean toward this mindset?  Isn’t this what we are Biblically called to do?  This bothers me, however, when viewed as ‘wishes.’  If a wish is likely impossible, how can we ask God to honor our requests?  Perhaps I’m way off base, here, but my perspective is if we ask with a true heart, then won’t God honor that request--even if He answers in a way we didn't expect?


Yes, it will take effort on our part.  A relationship of any kind, requires work and that is no less true than with God, the Father.  But he said to, “ask and you will receive if you believe with your whole heart.”   I’ve always believed this is an act of faith.  If that is true, then isn't it different than ‘being impossible?’


The list given in the article, as mentioned seems wonderful, but I’d be more comfortable calling it a ‘prayer list’ because prayers are real and heard by the Father.  And when we ask and believe in faith it will happen, then we can accept the gifts, that each of these are.  


I have a great many prayers, like the previous author.  I want to have a renewal of mind, a heart that is touched by his great love, a passion about the gifts God’s given me and many more.  But my greatest desire is to simply be aligned with Christ.  Is this easy?  No.  I’m human and I am sinful by nature.  My human-ness causes me to stumble, regardless of how much I try.  But I’d hate to think that my relationship with God is based on an impossibility or even an improbability.  


It’s difficult sometimes waiting for each of my requests to be answered.  But it’s not about my time, it’s about His!  It’s my job to believe in His Sovereignty, knowing that when the time is just perfect, his perfect will, will be fulfilled or revealed.


Christmas Eve is this week, and we will be celebrating the Gift of Christ as we share gifts with our loved ones.  Children visit Santa to give him their Christmas wish list; and while I admit to liking the idea of Santa, it bothers me a little, too.  Christ’s birth, death and resurrection offers us the greatest gift of all,-- salvation.  It’s a free gift, yet many, especially at this time of year when granting wishes via Santa is so prevalent, Jesus’ gift is sidelined, shelved for another time.


I encourage you to join me in praying heartfelt requests to the Lord, knowing that when we ask with a humble and true heart, our prayers will be answered.  God wants a relationship with us and that does require hard spiritual work, but it’s far from impossible.  It’s totally possible within the realm of faith!


Photo Credit: https://www.pexels.com/search/christmas/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment